Wha Wha??? If you have GIT in your PATH, it should just work. If you don't, run 'git-credential-winstore -i C:\Path\To\Git.exe'.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:24 AM
I have no clue what you mean by the following:

Download the git-credential-winstore.exe application
Run it! If you have GIT in your PATH, it should just work. If you don't, run 'git-credential-winstore -i C:\Path\To\Git.exe'.

WHERE do I do this? What do you mean "Git in your PATH". This tells me nothing. What do I have to do, be specific, where do I go in windows, and what do we have to do.
Apr 15, 2014 at 1:08 AM
Edited Apr 15, 2014 at 1:08 AM
@CoffeeAddict:
Option 1:
  • open Cmd prompt
  • type set path
  • in my instance, its about a screen and a half of information. You can try and comb through that set of information and see if your Git installation is there.
Option 2:
  • Right click My Computer from desktop or Computer from Start Menu, unsure about Win 8.x.
  • Select Properties, not Manage
  • (Windows 7.x) click Advanced System Settings
  • At the bottom of the resulting window, click Environment Variables.
  • In the bottome half of the resulting window, you will see a sectio called System Variables. In that section scroll down the list of Variable/Value pairs until you see PATH in the Variable Columns.
  • To the right of that will be a series of semi-colon,( ; ), seperated values. What i do is load up a text editor (NotePad, NotePad++, Sublime Text, etc) and do a search for git. Make sure you search is NOT case-sensitive. If you get a result then its mostly likely available. One sure fire way to verify, is to type git -help at a fresh command prompt and if you get the usually help response, then your good to go. But if you get the message saying "The program could not be found...." then you have issues.